Your iPhone 8 Plus is not playing voicemails and you're not sure why. This problem is especially frustrating if you missed an important call that you were expecting. This article will show you what to do when your iPhone 8 Plus won't play voicemails!
Table Of Contents
My iPhone 8 Plus Won't Play Voicemails! Here's The Fix.
Why Isn't Voicemail Working On My iPhone 8 Plus?
Most of the time, voicemail isn't working on your iPhone 8 Plus because of a software issue. Voicemail on your iPhone is known as Visual Voicemail, which downloads audio files from your wireless carrier onto your iPhone.
The steps below will show you how to fix the problem when your iPhone 8 Plus won't play voicemails.
How To Fix An iPhone 8 Plus Not Playing Voicemail
1. Set Up Voicemail On Your iPhone
Visual Voicemail allows you to view, listen to, and delete the voicemails on your iPhone. Make sure you set up Visual Voicemail on your iPhone, otherwise your voicemails may not download from your wireless carrier.
How Do I Set Up Voicemail On My iPhone?
- Open the Phone app.
- Tap the Voicemail tab in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.
- If Visual Voicemail is not set up on your iPhone, you'll see a button that says, Set Up Now. Tap that button.
- Enter, then confirm a custom voicemail password.
- Tap Custom if you want to create your own custom greeting when someone reaches your voicemail box.
- If you don't know whether or not voicemail is set up on your iPhone, dial and call your own phone number using the Keypad in the Phone app.
2. Restart Your iPhone
Why Should I Restart My iPhone?
Restarting your iPhone can sometimes fix minor software glitches and errors.
How Do I Restart My iPhone?
- Press and hold the power button (Sleep / Wake button) on your iPhone until the slide to power off slider appears on the display.
- Swipe the red power icon from left to right to turn off your iPhone.
- Wait about 30 seconds, then press and hold the power button again until you see the Apple logo appear in the center of the display.
If The Power Button Is Broken (Option 1)
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Shut Down.
- Swipe the red power icon from left to right.
- Plug your iPhone into a power source using a Lightning cable to turn it back on.
If The Power Button Is Broken (Option 2)
- Watch our YouTube video or follow the steps below!
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Tap AssistiveTouch.
- Turn on the switch next to AssistiveTouch.
- Tap the AssistiveTouch button when it appears on the display.
- Tap Device.
- Tap More.
- Tap Restart.
- Tap Restart again when the confirmation alert appears.
3. Close Out Of All Of Your Apps
Closing out of your apps is like turning your iPhone off and back on — it gives your apps a fresh start. If one of the apps that you have open crashes in the background, it may prevent other apps you have open from functioning properly. It can be difficult to identify which specific app or apps are malfunctioning, so we'll close them all to save time.
How Do I Close Out Of All Of My Apps?
- Double-press the Home button to view the apps your currently have open.
- Use your finger to swipe up on the apps to close them.
- You'll know all your apps are closed when you only see a preview of your lock screen.
- You can close two apps at a time by using two fingers when swiping up from the bottom of the screen.
- Don't worry — apps automatically save information, so you won't lose any data or progress when you close them.
- Having many apps open at the same time can slow your iPhone down and cause your battery to die more quickly, so it's always a good idea to close out of the apps you aren't using.
4. Reset Network Settings
Why Should I Reset Network Settings?
Resetting the network settings can give your iPhone a “fresh start” and allow it to connect to Bluetooth devices or WiFi networks that may have been problematic.
How Do I Reset Network Settings?
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to Reset. Reset is the final option in Settings -> General.
- Tap Reset Network Settings.
- Enter your passcode.
- When your iPhone restarts, the reset is complete.
- Make sure you know all of your Wi-Fi passwords before Resetting Network Settings. You'll have to reenter all of your Wi-Fi passwords after your iPhone resets.
5. Contact Your Wireless Carrier
Sometimes when your iPhone experiences issues related to your cellular network (no or poor service, calls going straight to voicemail), the problem is stemming from the cellular network, not the iPhone itself.
Below are the support numbers of major wireless carriers to contact if you're experiencing problems.
How Do I Contact My Wireless Carrier?
- Verizon: 1-(800)-922-0204
- Sprint: 1-(888)-211-4727
- AT&T: 1-(800)-331-0500
- T-Mobile: 1-(877)-746-0909
- Virgin Mobile: 1-(888)-322-1122
If your problem is voicemail related, explore the articles below:
6. Repair Your iPhone With Apple
Apple repairs iPhones at the Genius Bar in Apple Stores and through their online mail-in repair service. Apple repairs are high-quality, but out-of-warranty repairs can be much more expensive than third-party solutions. If you're looking to save some money you're not covered by Apple's warranty, you may want to check out our other recommendations.
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Apple?
How To Repair Your iPhone With Apple's Mail-In Service
- Visit Apple's support website to begin the online mail-in repair process.
- Alternatively, call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) to set up a repair.
How To Repair Your iPhone At The Genius Bar Inside Your Local Apple Store
- Visit Apple's website to make a Genius Bar appointment before you go into the store. Apple Stores are extremely busy, and if you don't have an appointment, you may have to wait for hours or end up being turned away. (Editor's note: I'm a former Apple tech and we're not exaggerating — please, do yourself a favor and make an appointment first!)
- When you arrive, go to the Genius Bar to check in for your appointment.
- Genius Bar appointments always include free diagnosis. If you're under warranty, many repairs can be done on the spot, but it all depends upon which parts are in stock. If you're not under warranty, the Genius will give you a quote for the cost of a repair.
- If you're not sure whether your iPhone is still under warranty, you can find out on Apple's website.
- Apple repairs are covered by a 90-day AppleCare warranty.
- If you've ever used a 3rd-party service to repair your iPhone, or if you've ever replaced a part of your iPhone with a non-Apple part, then the Apple Store may not repair your iPhone. (Shhhh!)
- In some cases, Apple will not repair devices that are older than five years old. These devices are classified as vintage or legacy.
7. Repair Your iPhone With Puls
Puls is a “we come to you” iPhone repair service that will meet you at your home, office, or Starbucks to repair your iPhone in as little as 30 minutes. Every Puls repair is backed by a lifetime warranty and their prices tend to be a lot less than Apple's.
Puls repairs broken iPhone screens, batteries, speakers, cameras, charging ports, and more. The only drawback at this point is that Puls isn't available everywhere (they're mostly in major US cities).
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Puls?
- Visit Puls.com.
- Select iPhone.
- Select the model of your iPhone.
- Enter your ZIP Code.
- Select the color of your iPhone.
- Select the repair you need completed and fill out any additional information you want the technician to know.
- Schedule a repair time and date.
- Enter your address and personal information.
- Click “have a coupon code?” right above Submit Repair Request.
- Enter the coupon code PF10ND18 to save at least $10 on your repair.
- Click the button that says “Submit Repair Request”.
- Every certified Puls technician has passed a background check, so you'll know they'll do a great job!
Voicemail Is Working!
Visual Voicemail is working on your iPhone again! Next time your iPhone 8 Plus won't play voicemails, you'll know exactly what to do. If you have any other questions about your iPhone, leave them in the comments section below!