Your iPhone X won't ring and you're not sure why. Contrary to popular belief, your iPhone may not be ringing because of a software issue, not a hardware issue. In this article, I'll explain why your iPhone X is not ringing and show you how to fix the problem for good!
Table Of Contents
iPhone X Not Ringing? Fix The Problem For Good!
My iPhone X Ring Volume Decreases! Here's Why.
A lot of iPhone X users in our iPhone help Facebook group noticed that their ringtone plays quieter or not at all after they pick up their iPhone. Don't worry — there's nothing wrong with your iPhone X! In fact, your iPhone is working perfectly fine.
Face ID allows your iPhone X to know exactly when you're holding it. When Face ID recognizes your face, it'll automatically lower the volume of your ringer because it knows you have your iPhone and doesn't want to blast you in the face with a loud ringtone.
How To Fix An iPhone X That's Not Ringing
1. Check Your Ring/Silent Switch
The Ring/Silent switch is used to quickly and easily turn your ringer on and off. If your switch is flipped to silent, your iPhone won't ring.
How Do I Check My Ring/Silent Switch?
- Take a look at your Ring/Silent switch, which is located on the left side of your iPhone.
- You'll know the your iPhone is on silent when you see a small, orange line because switch is pulled away from the screen.
- To turn your ringer on, pull the switch towards the screen.
- When you flip the Ring/Silent switch, a notification will appear on the screen of your iPhone indicating that you turned the Ringer on or off.
Learn more about how to check your ring/silent switch.
2. Turn Up Your iPhone X Ringer Volume Up All The Way
Did you know you can set the ringer volume to a different level than all the other sounds on your iPhone X? It's true!
So, even though it may appear like you're turning up the volume for all the sounds on your iPhone X, the ringer volume may be stuck at a very low level.
How Do I Turn Up My iPhone X Ringer Volume Up All The Way?
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on Sounds & Haptics.
- Drag the slider under Ringer And Alerts all the way to the right to turn up the ringer volume all the way.
- If you want to be able to set the ringer volume using the buttons on the left side of your iPhone X, turn on the switch next to Change with Buttons. You'll know the switch is on when it's green.
Learn more about how to turn up your iPhone x ringer volume up all the way.
3. Turn Off Do Not Disturb
When Do Not Disturb is on, all incoming calls, notifications, and alerts will be silenced.
How Do I Turn Off Do Not Disturb?
There are three ways to turn off Do Not Disturb on your iPhone:
Turn Off Do Not Disturb In The Settings App
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Do Not Disturb.
- Use your finger to tap the switch next to Manual.
- You'll know Do Not Disturb is off when the switch is gray.
Turn Off Do Not Disturb In Control Center
- Swipe up from below the bottom of the screen to open Control Center.
- Use your finger to tap the Do Not Disturb icon, which looks like a moon.
- You'll know Do Not Disturb is off when the moon icon is black inside a gray circle.
Turn Off Do Not Disturb Using Siri
- Press and hold the Home button to activate Siri.
- Say, “Turn off Do Not Disturb.”
- Siri will respond and let you know that Do Not Disturb is turned off.
- iPhone won't ring in the car? This could be because Do Not Disturb While Driving is turned on!
- Another way to check if Do Not Disturb is on is to look in the upper right hand corner of your screen. If you see the Do Not Disturb icon next to the battery, then Do Not Disturb is on.
- In the Settings app, you'll know Do Not Disturb is on when the switch is green.
- In Control Center, you'll know Do Not Disturb is on when the moon icon is white inside a purple circle.
- If you are having trouble opening Control Center, you probably aren't swiping up from low enough.
- You can set an automatic Do Not Disturb schedule if you go to Settings -> Do Not Disturb -> Scheduled.
Learn more about how to turn off do not disturb.
4. Inspect Your iPhone's Charging Port (Lightning Port)
You should frequently inspect your Lightning port, also known as the charging port, to make sure it is clean. Lint, gunk, and other debris can prevent your Lightning port from making a solid connection with your Lightning cable.
How Do I Inspect My iPhone's Charging Port (Lightning Port)?
- Use a flashlight to see if there is lint, gunk, or any other debris in your iPhone's Lightning port.
- If you find debris in your iPhone's Lightning port, gently brush it out with a new toothbrush or anti-static brush.
- Don't have an anti-static brush? We recommend this two-pack of high-quality anti-static brushes available in the Payette Forward Shop.
- Do not brush out your device with anything that will conduct an electric charge or damage the electronics in the bottom of your device.
- The Lightning cable has nine connectors. If any one of those connectors is blocked by debris, your device may not charge at all.
- Often times, a dirty charging port will cause your iPhone to get stuck in headphones mode. Read our guide to more about this problem and how to clean your charging port.
Learn more about how to inspect your iPhone's charging port (Lightning port).
5. Repair Your iPhone With Puls
Puls is a “we come to you” iPhone repair service that will meet you at your home, office, or Starbucks to repair your iPhone in as little as 30 minutes. Every Puls repair is backed by a lifetime warranty and their prices tend to be a lot less than Apple's.
Puls repairs broken iPhone screens, batteries, speakers, cameras, charging ports, and more. The only drawback at this point is that Puls isn't available everywhere (they're mostly in major US cities).
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Puls?
- Visit Puls.com.
- Select iPhone.
- Select the model of your iPhone.
- Enter your ZIP Code.
- Select the color of your iPhone.
- Select the repair you need completed and fill out any additional information you want the technician to know.
- Schedule a repair time and date.
- Enter your address and personal information.
- Click “have a coupon code?” right above Submit Repair Request.
- Enter the coupon code PF10ND18 to save at least $10 on your repair.
- Click the button that says “Submit Repair Request”.
- Every certified Puls technician has passed a background check, so you'll know they'll do a great job!
Learn more about how to repair your iPhone with Puls.
6. Repair Your iPhone With Apple
Apple repairs iPhones at the Genius Bar in Apple Stores and through their online mail-in repair service. Apple repairs are high-quality, but out-of-warranty repairs can be much more expensive than third-party solutions. If you're looking to save some money you're not covered by Apple's warranty, you may want to check out our other recommendations.
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Apple?
How To Repair Your iPhone With Apple's Mail-In Service
- Visit Apple's support website to begin the online mail-in repair process.
- Alternatively, call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) to set up a repair.
How To Repair Your iPhone At The Genius Bar Inside Your Local Apple Store
- Visit Apple's website to make a Genius Bar appointment before you go into the store. Apple Stores are extremely busy, and if you don't have an appointment, you may have to wait for hours or end up being turned away. (Editor's note: I'm a former Apple tech and we're not exaggerating — please, do yourself a favor and make an appointment first!)
- When you arrive, go to the Genius Bar to check in for your appointment.
- Genius Bar appointments always include free diagnosis. If you're under warranty, many repairs can be done on the spot, but it all depends upon which parts are in stock. If you're not under warranty, the Genius will give you a quote for the cost of a repair.
- If you're not sure whether your iPhone is still under warranty, you can find out on Apple's website.
- Apple repairs are covered by a 90-day AppleCare warranty.
- If you've ever used a 3rd-party service to repair your iPhone, or if you've ever replaced a part of your iPhone with a non-Apple part, then the Apple Store may not repair your iPhone. (Shhhh!)
- In some cases, Apple will not repair devices that are older than five years old. These devices are classified as vintage or legacy.
Learn more about how to repair your iPhone with Apple.
Let Your iPhone X Ring!
Your iPhone X is ringing and working normally again. We hope you'll share this article on social media now that you know what to do when your iPhone X is not ringing. If you have any other questions about your iPhone X, leave them in the comments section below!