Your iPhone X side button is stuck, jammed, or broken and you're not sure what to do. The new “side button” is really the most important button on your iPhone X, so when it's broken, it's tough to get the most out of your iPhone. In this article, I'll show you what to do when your iPhone X side button is not working!
Table Of Contents
iPhone X Side Button Not Working? Here's How To Fix The Problem!
Do I Need To Have My iPhone X Repaired?
If your iPhone X side button is not working, you'll probably have to get it completely repaired eventually. However, there is a chance the problem is software-related. The first step in this article will show you how to set up AssistiveTouch, a virtual button that gives you all the functionality of the physical side button.
Then, I'll show you how to put your iPhone X into DFU mode and restore. If a software problem is the reason why your iPhone X side button won't work, a DFU restore will fix the problem.
I'll conclude this article by discussing your repair options, just in case a DFU restore doesn't fix the problem. Let's get started!
How To Fix An iPhone X Side Button That's Not Working
1. Turn On AssistiveTouch On Your iPhone X
Why Should I Turn On AssistiveTouch On My iPhone X?
If your iPhone X side button is not working, AssistiveTouch is a fantastic temporary solution!
How Do I Turn On AssistiveTouch On My iPhone X?
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Tap AssistiveTouch.
- Turn on the switch next to AssistiveTouch at the top of the display. You'll know it's on when it's green.
- You can drag the AssistiveTouch button anywhere you'd like on the screen!
2. DFU Restore Your iPhone
Why Should I DFU Restore My iPhone?
A DFU restore has the potential to fix software problems by completely erasing the code which may be causing your problem. The code is rewritten as if your iPhone is brand new, so the software problem may get solved.
Think of it like a house that has cracks in the foundation. Rather than try and fix the cracks, we are building an entirely new foundation.
How Do I DFU Restore My iPhone?
Watch our DFU restore video walkthrough on YouTube, or follow the steps below:
- Using a Lightning cable, plug your iPhone into a USB port on your computer.
- Open iTunes. It doesn’t matter if your iPhone is on or off.
- On an iPhone 7 or newer, press and hold the power and volume down button.
- After 8 seconds, release the Power Button, but continue to hold the volume down button
- Let go of the volume down button when iTunes says “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.”
- Your iPhone’s display will be completely black if you’ve successfully entered DFU mode. If it’s not, try again from the beginning.
- Restore your iPhone using iTunes.
- If you can, back up your iPhone before completing a DFU restore. Any time you do a restore, it erases everything from your iPhone. However, after the restore is completed, you restore all your backed up data back onto your iPhone.
- Learn more about DFU restores in our article: How To Put An iPhone Into DFU Mode, The Apple Way.
- A damaged component can prevent your iPhone from fully completing the DFU restore. If your iPhone is damaged in any way, a DFU may break your iPhone.
- In Apple jargon, the power button is also known as the Sleep / Wake Button.
3. Repair Your iPhone With Apple
Apple repairs iPhones at the Genius Bar in Apple Stores and through their online mail-in repair service. Apple repairs are high-quality, but out-of-warranty repairs can be much more expensive than third-party solutions. If you're looking to save some money you're not covered by Apple's warranty, you may want to check out our other recommendations.
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Apple?
How To Repair Your iPhone With Apple's Mail-In Service
- Visit Apple's support website to begin the online mail-in repair process.
- Alternatively, call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) to set up a repair.
How To Repair Your iPhone At The Genius Bar Inside Your Local Apple Store
- Visit Apple's website to make a Genius Bar appointment before you go into the store. Apple Stores are extremely busy, and if you don't have an appointment, you may have to wait for hours or end up being turned away. (Editor's note: I'm a former Apple tech and we're not exaggerating — please, do yourself a favor and make an appointment first!)
- When you arrive, go to the Genius Bar to check in for your appointment.
- Genius Bar appointments always include free diagnosis. If you're under warranty, many repairs can be done on the spot, but it all depends upon which parts are in stock. If you're not under warranty, the Genius will give you a quote for the cost of a repair.
- If you're not sure whether your iPhone is still under warranty, you can find out on Apple's website.
- Apple repairs are covered by a 90-day AppleCare warranty.
- If you've ever used a 3rd-party service to repair your iPhone, or if you've ever replaced a part of your iPhone with a non-Apple part, then the Apple Store may not repair your iPhone. (Shhhh!)
- In some cases, Apple will not repair devices that are older than five years old. These devices are classified as vintage or legacy.
4. Repair Your iPhone With Puls
Puls is a “we come to you” iPhone repair service that will meet you at your home, office, or Starbucks to repair your iPhone in as little as 30 minutes. Every Puls repair is backed by a lifetime warranty and their prices tend to be a lot less than Apple's.
Puls repairs broken iPhone screens, batteries, speakers, cameras, charging ports, and more. The only drawback at this point is that Puls isn't available everywhere (they're mostly in major US cities).
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Puls?
- Visit Puls.com.
- Select iPhone.
- Select the model of your iPhone.
- Enter your ZIP Code.
- Select the color of your iPhone.
- Select the repair you need completed and fill out any additional information you want the technician to know.
- Schedule a repair time and date.
- Enter your address and personal information.
- Click “have a coupon code?” right above Submit Repair Request.
- Enter the coupon code PF10ND18 to save at least $10 on your repair.
- Click the button that says “Submit Repair Request”.
- Every certified Puls technician has passed a background check, so you'll know they'll do a great job!
Side Button Solutions
We understand that it can be stressful when your iPhone is broken. Fortunately, now you know what to do when your iPhone X side button is not working! If you have any other questions about your iPhone X or the repair options mentioned in this article, leave us a comment down below!